Friday 18 June 2010

North Gailes Golf Course - course no 305

I played the North Gailes course early on 14 June 2010 at the start of a very eventful 4 day trip to play some West of Scotland courses. North Gailes has 9 holes and 2 sets of tees, yellow and red and measures a short 4445 yards in total, with a par of 65 and a more realistic standard scratch score of 62. Being adjacent to the excellent Glasgow Gailes and Western Gailes links courses, North Gailes has a links feel and appearance and was running incredibly fast due to the recent hot and dry weather. This is a view of the clubhouse, adjacent hotel and golf shop. I'd waited until a ladies 4 ball cleared the 1st green before teeing off. Just as well, since my drive finished within an easy lob wedge of the green. The 1st was 320 yards, so that gave me a clue that the course would be silly fast. An easy wedge at the 2nd held the green, but I 3 putted from 20 feet. I'd regripped my putter the previous day with a softer grip which might take some getting used to!

The ladies kindly let me play through on the 3rd tee. The 3rd is a 307 yard right dog leg. I managed a fade off the tee, but even so, I was nearly out of bounds to the left of the green, such was the dryness of the course. This is the 92 yard 5th hole, aptly named "The Lob." The green is quite shallow and undulating but I managed a long putt for birdie after a good sand iron had held the green. Another birdie followed at the 6th, a 433 yard par 4 so my newly regripped 20+ year old Ping Anser 4 was on good form. I'd got to the turn in 34, only 2 over par but to be fair, I like fast greens and the course was playing pretty easy and amazingly short.
The back 9 is even shorter than the front and although the 15th stretches to 505 yards and is a par 5, it should have been reachable in 2. I scrambled a par there and at this, the 290 yard par 4 16th. I needed a par on the 89 yard 18th for a gross 68. An easy sand iron came up just short of the elevated green and I took bogey for a 69, net 59. Not too shabby, but North Gailes is not a difficult course and was playing pretty easy. Sterner tests lay ahead in the next few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment