Friday 12 February 2010

Auchenharvie Golf Course - course no 248

I played this course on 11 February 2010, having played well earlier in the day at Lochgreen. Auchenharvie is basically a 9 hole layout with 2 separate tees for each hole to create an 18 hole layout. Auchenharvie is 5203 yards off the back tees, which I played, and has a par of 66. I played very well, going round in a gross 70, including a birdie at the short 275 yard par 4 4th hole, but I didn't really enjoy the course. There were some pretty good holes, the 3/12th and 8/17th being the most challenging. For me, the course was dominated by its surroundings, which were pretty dismal at best, with a couple of holes played between the local abattoir and the back of an undertaker's premises and others wedged between a railway, the main road and a housing estate. This is the only scenic view I could find on the course, looking back up the 3/12th fairway.

With so many excellent courses in the area, I wondered how Auchenharvie survives. I certainly don't feel the need to play it again any time soon, given the immediate surroundings. I played it in good sunny weather, but it must be a pretty bleak place on the kind of wild weather that can beset even the best of Scottish courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment